DNA matches
Since I had my DNA tested at Ancestry and compared with others I was told of at least 141 DNA Matches to potential cousins. I am now trying to work out who they are and where they fit in our family tree.
I discovered a third cousin, John Gilliver from Kent, descended from my great great grandparents Robert Neave and Jane Ann Slaughter, he sent a picture of himself sitting on a bench in Bedlington behind which is a sculpture of Mary Weightman, nee Haley who was Grandad (Jigger) Proom's Cousin. Mary was given an MBE for services to pets and lived in Bedlington to the age of 98.
An article in the local paper explains the story of why there is a sculpture Click here to read the article
Another match was to an Edd Lewis who now lives in Loughborough He is a descendant (a Great Grandson) of Granddad (Jigger) Proom's sister, Annie Haley Proom. His Grandfather is Alfred Armstrong, still alive at age 96 living in Eastbourne. Alfred served in WW2 as a cook on a ship and saw action during the D Day landings.
You can read Alf's story and how he was recently presented with the highest honour that France could give to a foreign national; receiving the Award of Chevalier de l`Ordre National de la Legion Honneur.
Read more at D Day through the eyes of a Chef

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home