Building the family tree
Well since we are almost locked down and very few social events can take place I have been spending time updating my family tree.
I started by tracing some of the 16 brothers and sisters of my great grandad Charles John Tame, a lot of whom remained in Abingdon when he moved to Wolverhampton. (Apart from one of his sisters, who married one of Charles's wife's brothers and moved to Wolverhampton at about the same time as he did). I then continued looking at other Tames in the family from that area of which there are hundreds. (And I thought it was an uncommon surname, but not in Berkshire apparently.)
Next I looked at Grandma Tame's family, the Nicklins who originate from Shropshire before some of them moved to West Bromwich. (Sam was the lucky one, as two of his siblings are described as 'harmless lunatics' on one of the Census forms) I can trace the Nicklin family back to around 1700 around the High Ercall, Ercall Magna area of Shropshire. There are quite a few Nicklins there.
Sam Nicklin married Sidonia Greenfield in West Bromwich, Sidonia's Greenfield Family are from Brockmoor, Kingswinford and Brierley Hill so are true black-countrymen. Inevitably there are coalminers and Ironworkers in her family and when the Black Country Coal field was exhausted at least one of the Miners went to the Barnsley Coalfields in Yorkshire.
I have corrected some errors in my tree, after discovering wives who died after giving birth who do not show up on the next census. It was quite usual for the surviving partner to find a new wife (or Husband) quickly in familys where one of the parents has died leaving the partner to deal with several children.
With my DNA result I have discovered I have 250+ 4th cousins or closer (who have also done DNA tests), but at present can only identify where 76 of them fit into my tree, Some of the matches from the USA are yet to be fitted in, as I haven't found the relative(s) who moved there, although I do know how some relatives got to Australia and New Zealand.
I have relatives who went to South Africa and relatives that are back in UK having spent most of their life in South Africa. A new great Aunt has been discovered in Malvern, related to the insurance man that used to call on the family in Wolverhampton every week in the 1950's and 1960's.
Well that s my latest update, if you want to know more then give me a call.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home