Tuesday, 9 August 2022

More Canadian Cousins and another coalmining accident.

Looking through My DNA matches again, I saw a DNA match to a Shana Marshall.


Well Margaret Marshall was the name of my Great Grandmother before she eloped with and married my Great Grandfather Thomas Henry James(formerly Davison). I thought it not impossible for the name to remain through a number of generations, but soon found out how lucky I was that it did.

Contacting Shana, who was born and lives in Canada, all she could tell me was that her Grandmother was Margaret Marshall born in 1926 in UK and her father was Michael Gordon Marshall born in 1948 in UK. Shana could tell me her Grandmothers Date of Birth and a quick search at the GRO found a Margaret Marshall registered in (Easington) Seaham Harbour in 1926, where my Marshall family lived. As the GRO record showed her mother's name waa also Marshall, I assumed she was born to an unmarried Mother and ordered the Birth Certificate, which had the correct date of birth and confirmed that Margaret was the daughter of the unmarried Jane Marshall. Looking for the source of the DNA match I found that Jane was already in my family tree as the daughter of Elliot Marshall, my Great Grandmother's Elder Brother.

Next step was to find out why her father was also a Marshall I ordered his birth certificate and found that Margaret Marshall was Unmarried and still living in Seaham Harbour at the time of his birth.

As for how they ended up in Canada, well I will continue this blog at a later date as it gets quite complicated, but at the same time lots of records back up the little bit of information that Shana and her father (who is still alive, and a year younger than me) have told me about his past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home